Being injured is just a big pile of poo. My naggy back-of-the-knee pain will not go away and it is about to drive me crazy. It subsides a lot when I don’t run, but never completely away and when I think I’m safe to run again, BAM post-run it’s back.
Okay, I’m being a little whiny, but I know you fellow runners/exercises/just generally active people feel my pain (pun somewhat intended). It stinks being side-lined by an injury and to be honest I’m not dealing with it too well, and it’s bumming me out a lot.
For one, I really hate sitting still, I mean I can laze around watching Food Network for hours (especially if Paula Deen is on) but there comes I point where I I have to get up and DO something to save my sanity. Two, I’m the worst injured person ever. Luckily I’ve never had any major injuries, but I usually just try to ignore the pain and keep on keepin’ on. Hey, I never claimed to be smart about injury prevention. And lastly I’ve got some big races coming up, races I really need to train for and I can’t, lamelamelame.
Okay, pity party over. Here’s what I’m doing to try to speed up recovery:
- Ice, lots and lots of it
- Stretching, trying to get back in the habit of regular yoga because I can tell my hamstrings/calves are tightttt.
- Anti-Inflammatories, which is a big deal because I’m a hippie and will avoid taking pills for as long as possible. Desperation is sinking in.
- Low impact exercises, I’ve been a spin class FREAK, I might even resort to the elliptical soon, yuck I hate that thing.
How do you keep your sanity when you’re injured?
Time for a brain dump, AKA all that random thoughts that filter through my head on a daily basis.
- I hate road closures, I’ve literally ran into 6 different ones since I’ve been home, why you gotta be so difficult to navigate Raleigh?
- BYOK>BYOL and by BYOK I mean Bring Your Own Kale, that should be a thing, because I totally would.
I mean, I already put it in cupcakes
- Forget Walgreens, there should be a Trader Joe’s on every corner. Pretty please.
- Peanut butter fixes everything. I was making a tofu/veggie stir fry and couldn’t find a good asian-y sauce (is that even PC to say?) so I mixed in peanut butter with a little salt and pepper. Problem solved.
- These need to get in my belly ASAP
- You can totally judge a fro yo place by how good their chocolate flavor is.
- 85% cacao, come on Joe, step it up, where’s my 100% at?
- This afternoon I pulled up the wrong way to the gas pump and 5 different cars of people watched me get back in the car, start it up and turn it around. Sometimes my own intelligence just amazes me.
- Tomorrow afternoon I will be on the beachhhhh. Well not exactly on the beach because it’s supposed to be in the 40s (ew) but beach adjacent.
- Thrift Shop is the most relatable hip hop song I’ve heard in a while. I can’t relate to:
But I can relate to shopping at a thrift store, oh so much.
- Sorry for being horrible with keeping up one comments/reading/all forms of social media, I’ve been enjoying spring break by spending less time on the computer. I miss you guys but I’m enjoying being a little unplugged, I promise I’ll catch back up soon!
How do you deal with an injury?
What’s your brain brain dump for today?