Sorry I’ve been a little MIA this weekend, I’ve been enjoying being a lazy bum and spending time with my family. Plus life is just so low key lately that I don’t have much to blog about, I’m not complaining though 🙂
- Seeing the country come together. What happened on Friday was horrible, it hurts my heart that so many people where hurt and that someone was hurt enough to cause this tragedy. My heart always sinks when I hear news like this, I like to believe that there is good in everyone, and when tragedies like the one in Newtown happen, it really makes me question that sentiment. Then I see the outpouring of support from people, essentially strangers, from around the country and it gives me hope. While I wish with my whole heart that this never happened, it is truly amazing how people come together in times of need.
- On a lighter note, A Deen Family Christmas, I lovelovelove Paula Deen, and seeing this on TV made my day. Food, Paula Deen, AND Christmas? Yes please.
Dear Paula, please adopt me as your granddaughter.
- Christmas baking with my mom! My favorite part of Christmas time! We made spritz cookies:
We make these cookies every year, using the recipe from the cookie press my mom got in the 70s. Recipes from the 1970s and older are the best because they are not afraid of a little butter and sugar. I might have eaten too many yesterday and my tummy is paying for it but it is 100% worth it. Sorry tummy.
We also made fudge:
The crumbly batch is the one I stirred, I got a little stir happy, and the flatter pieces are the batch my stirred and he did a little bit better job.
We call the recipe the “Dead Sea Scroll Fudge” because the recipe is so old it’s starting to resemble the Dead Sea Scrolls. The recipe is actually from a Baker’s Chocolate recipe book from 1955! My mom even used this recipe to make fudge when she was a kid. It’s a winner and never ever fails. Best fudge ever.
And finally we made some gluten-free friendly cookies too:
We used this recipe from The Urban Poser. I made a few modifications, like swapping butter for the coconut oil and vegetable oil for the applesauce, and I just rolled them into balls instead of cutting out shapes.
They came out so good! Proof is that I made a whole batch yesterday and there are none left today. Whoopsies. At least I shared a little 🙂
- Surprise cannoli’s! My boyfriend works at an Italian restaurant and I always give him grief for having access to free Italian and not bringing me a cannoli because they are one of my favorite desserts. Well, Friday night he surprised me with a cannoli that he made at work! He’s a keeper 🙂
The fact that it was made with love cancelled out the gluten. Or something like that.
- These silly kitties
They like boxes. Don’t even try to buy them a cat bed.
- Christmas lights, I lovvvveeee Christmas lights. Seriously, don’t drive with me at night around Christmas because we WILL take a detour to look at lights. Saturday night my family drove out to downtown Apex to check out their Christmas lights and grab some dinner. The shops and restaurants downtown are decked out with Christmas lights and everything looked so beautiful!
- Speaking of lights, check out this house in my neighborhood:
They go all out every year and have been setting up all these lights for years. It was one of my favorite things when I was a kid and even though I’m in my 20’s I still drive by whenever I get the chance.
What made your Monday marvelous?
Do you have any pets?
Do your neighbors go all out with Christmas lights?